Our websites located at www.tlkycs.ca and other subdomains (“Website”) are owned and operated by Tung Lin Kok Yuen, Canada Society (referred to as “the Society”, “TLKYCS”, ”we”, ”our” or ”us”).
TLKYCS is dedicated to protect personal information and will make every reasonable effort to handle collected information appropriately. All information collected, as well as related requests, will be handled as carefully and efficiently as possible in accordance with our standards for integrity and objectivity.
Collection of personal data and user information
2. When you visit the Website, we may collect two types of information from you:
a) Personal data:
Personal data you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected on an individual basis or when you register on the Website for purposes of making online donations, online applications or registrations to our programs, activities, or services, or for the purposes of accessing reading materials or audio visual materials. Such information may include but not limited to your:
iv. email address;
v. correspondence address;
vi. telephone number;
vii. country of residence;
viii. date of birth;
ix. identity reference;
x. credit card or bank account information (when you make a donation or application); and
xi. The name of your organization.
b) User information: when you look at this Website, our Website makes a record of your visit. This shows your domain name server address, IP address, operating system, browser type and the pages you have visited. We may also obtain information about your general Internet usage to help us improve the Website by using “cookies” which are stored on the hard drive of your computer. Information gathered by using cookies may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at the Website, and the websites you visited immediately before and after the Website. This data enables us to become more familiar with which users visit our site, how often they visit, and what parts of the Website they visit most often. We use such information to improve our Web-based information services. This information is collected automatically and requires no action on your side.
3. Typically, we collect your Personal Data in the ways which may include the following but not limited to:
i. from your completion of donation forms;
ii. from your completion of our donor surveys or event surveys;
iii. when you make a donation;
iv. when you apply for volunteering or staff positions;
v. when you apply or register to our programs, activities, or services,
vi. when you email us your comments, feedback, opinion or suggestions;
vii. when you register to participate in a discussion on our bulletin boards, forums or social media on our website; and/or in the course of your establishing or maintaining a donor/supporter relationship with us;
viii. when you subscribe to our newsletter(s);
ix. when you register an online account with us for donation, activities, learning;
x. when you update your information by post, fax, email, phone or through our Website.
How we protect your personal data
Use of your personal data
5. The personal information you have provided to TLKYCS will be treated as strictly confidential. Typically, we collect your Personal Data for purposes including but not limited to the following:
a) conduct fundraising activities or other activities in line with our mission;
b) process any donations or payments made by you;
c) issue receipts for your donation or payment;
d) conduct surveys;
e) conduct market research and for direct marketing purposes, described in more detail under the “Direct Marketing” section below;
f) conduct volunteer recruitment or employment recruitment;
g) foster communications between you and TLKYCS.
6. From time to time, we may use your Personal Data (including your name, contact details, demographic information, information collected from donor survey, and donation history to provide you with emails, updates, invitations, newsletters, phone calls or text messages about our fundraising events and initiatives, to invite you to make a donation and/or to invite you to participate in donor survey / readers’ survey, but only if you consent to our doing so when we collect your Personal Data.
7. Even if you have given us your consent to use your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes, you may withdraw your consent at any time free of charge by emailing to [email protected] or following the instructions on how to unsubscribe which are contained in all of our email newsletters. The withdrawal of your consent will be processed and will take effect as soon as possible.
8. Once we receive your Personal Data, we will make our best efforts to ensure its security on our systems and we will take all practicable and reasonable steps to protect your Personal Data from unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure, loss or use.
9. You should be aware that when you participate in any discussion on any bulletin boards or forums or use any social media plugins on our Website, your written comments are entirely public. If you do disclose Personal Information on these bulletin boards, forums or social media plugins, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties. Also, by participating in these forums, you should remember that you are legally liable for the material you post, including libel and copyright infringement.
11. Our Website utilizes Google Analytics (cookies) or other similar tools to collect information about how our website is used. Cookies are widely used in order to provide information about users’ browsing preferences to the owners of the Website. Cookies allow us to improve our Website and your browsing experience. You may opt-out of cookies by disabling cookie support in your browser, but doing so may prevent our website from functioning properly (for example, banner displays may not function properly) and you may not be able to utilize fully all of the Website features.
What is a Cookie?
12. A cookie is a very small text document, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier. When you visit a website, that website’s computer asks your computer
for permission to store this file in a part of your hard drive specifically designated for cookies. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser’s preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other websites. A cookie cannot retrieve any other Data from your hard drive or pass on computer viruses.
13. The cookies we store on our Website are used to:
a) track the number, and type of visits to the Website and their pages, and compile anonymous, aggregated statistics on the number of users and their usage patterns, in order for us to evaluate and enhance the performance of our websites, and
b) personalize the content of our Website and facilitate user movement within the Websites (including without limitation by storing your preferences for screen layouts and language, and remembering passwords during a session and the country you may have elected as your country of residence).
c) This information is not shared with any third parties.
14. Browsers are usually set to accept cookies. However, if you would prefer not to receive cookies, you may opt out of being tracked by any website using Google Analytics by visiting http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
15. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Social media plugins
16. Our Website also uses social plugins of social networking sites including but not limited to facebook.com (“Facebook”), youtube.com (“Youtube”), instagram.com (“Instagram”), and linkedin.com (“LinkedIn”). The plugins can be identified by the websites’ logos (e.g. a white “f” on a blue tile or a “thumbs-up” icon for Facebook), or the phrase “Social Plugin”.
18. You can deactivate social plugins at any time by changing your browser preferences.
Important notice on personal data usage
19. To connect closely with you and to keep you informed of our work, development and fundraising progress, TLKYCS and its service providers may use your contact information (name, telephone, email and address) for the purpose of communications, receipt issuance, fundraising, volunteer recruitment and survey administration. The personal data collected will be treated as strictly confidential. If you would not like to receive such materials or communications, please contact us at [email protected]
20. Under the Personal Information Protection Act of British Columbia, Canada, you have the right of access and correction with respect to personal data. Request for personal data access and correction should be made to TLKYCS in writing. Please mail the request by post to 2495 Victoria Drive, B.C., Canada V5N 4L1 with a subject line of “Personal Information Request”.
21. In addition, if you do not wish to receive any communication relating to any Services concerning TLKYCS or this Website, you may contact us through email at [email protected] at any time.
22. When you register or make a payment or donation through the Website, your personal information will be securely encrypted. Your credit card information will be passed to a third party (such as a bank) only where necessary for the purpose of processing the donation payment. TLKYCS will not disclose any of the credit card information to any other third party.
Links to other websites
24. While we aim to use a “secure mode” whenever we request personal information, we do not guarantee that information transmitted through the Website or any electronic mail (email) will be secure, since such information or email sent over the Internet is not secure.
27. Stripe is an international payment service provider to banks and online merchants since 2000. Customers’ payment details are securely transmitted to the acquiring bank, card and payment companies for real-time transaction authorisation using 256-bit SSL transaction encryption. PayDollar supports CVV/CVC check as well as 3-D secure authentication of Visa and MasterCard namely: Verified By VISA, MasterCard SecureCode for added security protection for both customers and merchant.
Last Update : 1 March 2023
Tung Lin Kok Yuen, Canada Society